Garden is situated near the Pune Solapur Road. The garden was originally
under the ownership of Sardar Vithalrao Purandhare and was managed by
General Finjer. It came under the management of the British government
in the year 1838. The occupation of the Empress Garden transferred in
1845 and it came under Sir Charles Napier. During that time, the garden
came to be known as 'Garden of Dr. Don'. Given below is more information
on the Empress Garden of Poona, India.
Empress Garden of Pune acquired its present name when queen Victoria
embraced the title of 'Empress Of India'. However, since the garden was
frequently used by the British soldiers as a recreational spot, it
popularly came to be known as the 'Soldier's Garden'. In 1892, Empress
Garden came under the control of the Bombay Government, who later
transferred it to Agri-Horicultural society of western India. Spread
over an area of around 59 acres, the garden is full of mangoes and
tamarind trees as well as beautiful flowers.