Film and Television Institute of India
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) of Pune is situated on the Law College Road, at a distance of one km from Deccan Gymkhana. Spread over an area of 21 acres, the institute was established on the recommendation of Film Enquiry Committee. It was founded by Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, in the year 1960. The main aim behind the setting up of the Film and Television Institute of India was to impart training in the art and technique of filmmaking.
The place where the institute now stands used to be the grounds of the Prabhat Studios. FTII, Pune, offers a number of courses, in direction, editing, screenplay, photography and music. Remy Tessonneau, Director of the Paris Institute des Hautes Etudes Cinematographiques (IDHEC), framed the original syllabus as well as the courses of study of FTII. He also drafted the basic outline for teaching in five courses, namely motion picture photography, screenplay, editing, writing-cum-direction and sound recording.
The institute started running its courses from 1961. The Television Training Wing, which was earlier functioning in New Delhi, also shifted to Pune in 1974. Thereafter, the institute got registered as a society under the Registration of Societies Act of 1860. From that moment onwards, FTII, Poona, became fully aided by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India.